Vero Nixes Stormwater Utility

On February 7, 2017 the Vero Beach City Council, in a 3-2 majority vote, declined any further consideration of a Stormwater Utility

Learn More

IRNA Tour New Intergenerational Facility

February 28 County Commissioner Peter O'Bryan was our host to a guided tour

Learn More
Donate Now

Dedicated to Quality Growth

Spring 2017 News Magazine

Home Rule At Risk, AGAIN...Tail wagging the Dog in Tallahassee!

HB 425 and SB 188 is an attempt to grab power from locally-elected bodies in order to carve out a priviledged position for vacation rental marketers like HomeAway.com, VBRO.com and AirBnB.com. HB 425 benefits the 1% of owners who convert homes into Vacation Rental Businessesat the expense of the peace and security of the rest of us -- the other 99% -- who want nothing more than the quiet enjoyment of their residential neighborhoods. The Tail is Wagging the Dog in Tallahassee!

COVB City Council does About-Face, scraps "Done Deal."

It was supposed to be a “done deal” -- the end of the former Dodgertown Golf Course and the beginning of a 280-unit multi-family housing project. A public outcry has put this plan into reverse, and provided a textbook case of why our community needs the Indian River Neighborhood Association. Read more...

Vero Stormwater Utility Update

The IRNA has directed much attention to finding solutions to help restore and protect the Indian River Lagoon from the impacts of the human and built environments. Helping to develop a fertilizer ordinance was a significant first step. Now comes the challenge to acknowledge problems caused by polluted stormwater run-off and to find a solution.

Advisory Commissions recommended action. Our Water and Lagoon Committee worked hard to develop a workable solution. And City Council addressed the matter. To read the outcome click the headline above.

Event and tour of new Intergenerational Facility a success

On February 28 County Commissioner Peter O'Bryan was our host to a guided tour of the new "big red building" on Oslo Rd near South Couty park.  Around 50 people attended and explored the amazing new facilities we have right here in Indian River County. The Indian River County Intergenerational Recreation Center (iG Center) is a state-of-the-art indoor recreation facility and event venue. The recreation…

AAF must meet challenges raised by citizens

This post arrives with very good news.  As you know we formed a Coalition a few years ago to address the impacts that could potentially affect our entire county by the proposed fast train All Aboard Florida now being called Brightline. The National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) gave us the rights to defend our human and natural environments and we inserted our concerns into that process.   We…

IRNA Letter to Army Corps RE: AAF

Read the IRNA Coaliton's Response to Army Corps' recent public notice here. Also linked is the origianl posting by the Army Corps.

IRNA Helps to Restore the Indian River Lagoon

By Deborah Ecker, Chair, IRNA Water and Lagoon Committee IRNA has a strong Water and Lagoon Committee, twelve active members working to restore and preserve the precious natural resource in our backyard, the Indian River Lagoon.Co-chair with me: Judy Orcutt. Members are Roland Anderson, Richard Baker, Bill Beardsley Mark Bondy, Jean Catchpole, Buzz Herrmann, Sam San Miguel, Peter Seed, Carter Taylor,…

IRNA Fraud Alert

The IRNA logo has been fraudulently lifted from our website and attached to a widely distributed email entitled "Observer". The email is written anonymously and the best that can be said about it is that it contains no truthful information.

IRNA's Response to AAF's Final EIS

August 30, 2015   Federal Railroad Administration 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE Room W38-311 Washington, DC 20590 Attn: John Winkle   Dear Mr. Winkle,   This communication responds to the release of the Final Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS) dated August 4, 2015 addressing the proposed All Aboard Florida (AAF) passenger fast-speed rail service and the expansion of freight…